- Quizlet for Josh's class.
- Quizlet for Debbie's class.
Sign up for a free Quizlet account and then join the class, so you can study vocabulary and grammar for the class. You can also create your own sets.
- Longman dictionary. Here you can look up words in English for free!
- Cambridge dictionary. This is another free dictionary and it has pronunciation!
Listenings for class
- Contemporary Topics 3. You can watch all of the lectures from our course book here. Just click on unit.
- Science of Learning Videos. These are short videos that explain some good learning techniques.
- Deliberate Practice Video You can learn more about how to practice a skill effectively.
- UC Berkeley Introduction to Psychology. The lecture about psychology starts at 31:39. The first part is just about how the class works.
- Introduction to Linguistics Lecture. This is a 13-minute Youtube video by Prof Jürgen Handke.
- Canine Companions. This short video has stories about support animals.
- Radiolab: Wild Talk. This podcast looks at recent discoveries in animal communication. If you like to listen to podcasts about science and society topics, Radiolab has lots of great shows that are all free.
- Prairie Dogs: America's Meercats
- National Geographic, The Causes and Effects of Climate Change. This 3-minute video explains the basics
- Bill Nye, The Science Guy on Climate Change. This 4-minute video introduces the causes, effects, and solutions of climate change.
- Global Climate Change. Mr. Anderson's AP Environmental Science class introduces climate change.
- Ecosystem Ecology. Mr Anderson's AP Environmental Science class explains how ecosystems work.
- The Story of Bottled Water. Learn facts about bottled water and its effects on the environment.
- U.S. History Lectures Josh's lectures on U.S. History.
- UC Berkeley Lecture on Immigration. You can see all of the lectures from History 7B here. Click on the immigration lecture, which is lecture 10
- California History. Learn more about CA history with these websites
Debbie, Jennifer, and Josh discussing the environment
Speaking Task Practice
- Josh talking about learning the guitar
- Presentation #1: Social Psychology Experiments. This page has links to videos and articles to help you research your topic.
- Here is a video that shows how to make a slideshow using Google Slides. You can also use powerpoint or Keynote.
- Mini-Presentation about animals. You can get good information on Kids National Geographic or National Geographic. Prepare a 2-minute talk about the animal's habitat, food, behavior, communication, interesting facts. Be sure to print and bring a picture of the animal.
- Presentation #2: U.S. History. This page has sources to help you learn about the causes and effects of different events/periods in U.S. history.
- Debate. Click here to get resources for our class debate.
Links for Extra Listening Practice
- Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Cafe. This is one of best listening websites out there. There are many listenings to choose from and there are quizzes where you can check your understanding. This week please try:
- 100 Answers to Twenty Common Questions. There are short listenings, so you can practice repeating.
- Elllo. This website has hundreds of interesting conversations with transcripts about many different topics. You can also click on new vocabulary words to get definitions.
- Listen a Minute. This site has many short listenings that you can do to practice your skills. You can choose from many topics and do just a few minutes of practice every day.
- VOA: Special English. This is a great website to practice your listening and learn about the world and the United States. The recordings are a little bit slower so they are easier to understand.
- Hulu. You can watch many TV shows and movies here, but you have to pay about $8/month. Click on "Browse TV shows" or "Browse Movies" to get the full list. On many TV shows you can also click on 'cc' in the control panel. That will give you English subtitles! This is such a great way to improve your English!
- TED. This is a wonderful collection of short lectures by really smart people. Many of the lectures have subtitles, too.
- NPR. This is the website for National Public Radio. There are many interviews, programs and news reports.
- Pronunciation Guide. Do you want see, hear and practice sounds in English? Check out this amazing website! Click on 'American English' and then click on the sound you want to practice. You will see how to make the sounds and you can hear sample words that you can repeat.